c. Painting. Paint the battery areas as necessary
with an acid resistant paint to prevent corrosion.
(1) Install the two batteries in the case.
(2) Install the battery holddown cover and
secure with the four wingnuts.
This is a negative ground system.
Reversing polarity will damage the
voltage regulator. Be sure all battery
connections are clean and secure.
(3) Refer to figure 4-22 and connect the
positive, negative, and jumper cables as shown.
Connect battery ground cable.
Figure 4-21. Engine generator, removal and installation.
4-34. Battery Holddown Cover, Batteries, and
Always disconnect battery ground cable
first to prevent serious burn or shock to
(1) Disconnect battery ground cable. Refer to
figure 4-22 and remove the positive, negative, and
jumper cables as shown.
Figure 4-22. Battery holddown cover, batteries, and cables,
(2) Remove four wingnuts and lift out the
removal and installation.
battery holddown cover.
4-35. Receptacle Slave Connector
(3) Lift out the two batteries.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
a. Removal. Refer to figure 4-23 and remove the
(1) Clean the battery holddown cover, batteries,
receptacle slave connector.
b. Inspection. Inspect for corrosion and broken or
(2) Inspect the cover for cracks and breaks.
frayed wires. Replace defective parts.
Check batteries for corrosion and proper electrolyte
level. Inspect cables for security and corrosion.
When cables are replaced, insure that the
positive (+) cable is attached to the large
9-6140-200-14 for maintenance of batteries.