the tube (27) by pushing on the lower end of shaft.
3-60. Steering Column
Do not use a hammer to pound shaft free.
a. General. The steering column m mainly consists
of the column jacket, shaft and bearings. It is held in
(1) Inspect bearings for wear or damage.
place by a lower and upper support bracket. The
(2) Inspect tube for cracks and damage.
p o w e r steering unit is mounted to the base of the
(3) Inspect all hardware for damage.
(4) Inspect wiring for cuts, breaks or
( 1 ) Remove the steering wheel (TM 10-3930-
f. Reassembly. Refer to figure 3-125 and
reassemble steering column in reverse order of
(2) Refer to figure 3-124 and remove the
c. Disassembly. Refer to figure 3-125 and
disassemble the steering column.
(l) Refer to figure 3-124 and install the
(2) Install steering wheel (TM 10-3930-243-
The shaft (18) and bearing (16) can be removed from
Figure 3-124. Steering column, removal and installation.