16-11. BOOM ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT (CONT)
Release hydraulic joystick immediately after boom hoist cylinder to be removed has fully retracted. If
joystick is allowed to remain open, the other cylinder will start to retract, putting extreme stress on
lifting equipment and boom assembly.
(12) Start engine and run at idle. Fully retract
boom hoist cylinder to be removed (20) using
joystick. Boom hoist cylinder will retract
very slowly. Stop engine.
(13) Carefully lower boom hoist cylinder (21)
onto board placed across vehicle deck so
hydraulic line on cylinder is not damaged.
(14) Repeat Steps (10) through (13) for other
boom hoist cylinder (21).
(15) Place jackstand or support on front of
vehicle deck. Adjust support so that boom
assembly (6) will be level when lowered.
(16) Carefully lower boom assembly (6) with hoist
and sling until front of outer boom section is
on jackstand or other suitable support.
· Center of gravity for boom assembly is
approximately 9 ft from rear end of
· Install a bolt and nut to top-front of outer
boom. Install one hook to bolt and other two
hooks to top-rear of outer boom.
Position hoist and slings to boom assembly
(6). Carefully raise boom assembly until
weight of boom is removed from boom pivot
Remove locknut (25) and screw (26) from
boom pivot pin (24). Discard locknut.