8-43. AUXILIARY BATTERIES SERVICE/TEST/REPLACEMENT
This Task Covers:
Tools and Special Tools
Distilled Water (Item 43, Appendix C)
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's: Automotive
Petroleum Jelly (Item 14, Appendix C)
(Item 18, Appendix F)
Soda Solution (Item 36, Appendix C)
Wire Brush (Item 5, Appendix C)
· Do not smoke or allow flame or sparks in the vicinity while servicing, removing, or installing
batteries. Never disconnect any charging unit circuit or battery circuit cable from battery when the
charging unit is operating. Batteries generate hydrogen, a highly explosive gas. Severe personal
injury could result.
· To avoid sparks when removing battery cables, always begin by removing negative battery cable
· Batteries are filled with acid electrolyte solution. Always wear protective clothing, rubber gloves,
and eye protection when servicing, removing or installing batteries.
· Always check electrolyte level with engine stopped. Do not smoke when checking the battery. Do
not use an exposed flame to check battery levels. Protect eyes when checking battery level.
· Do not overfill batteries so that water splashes acid from cell openings. Battery acid can cause skin
irritations or burns.
Battery voltage test can be performed on engine. If the on-engine test shows a defect, remove batteries
for further testing. Refer to STE/ICE battery voltage test. For additional testing requirements refer to