( 2 ) Test the field coils for an open circuit and
test the starter on the equipment.
grounds with a multimeter and with the field coil as-
c. R e m o v a l .
sembly installed in the starter housing, as instructed
in TM 5-764. Test between the terminal stud and each
d. Disassembly. Refer to figure 3-10 and disas-
of the four leads of the field coil. If the multimeter
semble starter in numerical sequence.
f a i l s to indicate continuity on any one of the above
e. Cleaning and Inspection.
tests, replace the field coil.
(1) Clean all metal parts with cleaning solvent
(3) Test between the terminal stud and the starter
P-D-68, or equal, and dry thoroughly.
(2) Clean field coils, armature, and insulating
terminal stud is grounded and the insulating washer
parts with a cloth slightly dampened with cleaning sol-
on the insulating bushing must be replaced.
vent P-D-680 and dry with low pressure compressed
g. Reassembly. Refer to figure 3-10 and reassemble
the starter in reverse of numerical sequence.
(3) Inspect all parts for breaks, damage, and wear.
h. Bench Testing.
(1) No-load test. Connect a 24-volt battery in
(1) Test the armature on a growler for shorts,
series with a load rheostat and an ammeter shunt of a
open circuits, and grounds as instructed in TM 5-764.
c a p a c i t y greater than 50 amperes, and connect this
Replace a defective armature.