(2) If bore of cylinder is scored or pitted, smooth bore
(4) Loosen jam nut on push rod clevis, and adjust
by light honing.
effective length of push rod to give between 3/8 inch and
5/8 inch free travel of brake pedal before resistance is
(3) Reverse (1) above to reassemble, using all new
Tighten jam nut.
6-24. STEERING GEAR ASSEMBLY.
(1) Reverse a. above.
(2) Fill master cylinder with brake fluid.
(1) Remove truck floor boards.
(3) Bleed air from brake hydraulic system, using
procedure appropriate for brake bleeding equipment
(2) Remove screws and washers holding steering
gear bracket to truck frame.
(3) Disconnect horn wiring at side of column.
Figure 6-11. Steering Gear Removal, Exploded View