(b) If contact area is confined to the inner
the pinion toward the gear to secure
backlash of 0.006 to 0.012 inch.
diameter or toe of the ring gear teeth,
Installation. Using new gaskets, reverse
move the ring gear away from the
pinion; then remove shims to move
procedures in a above.
Section IX. BRAKES (GROUP 12)
(3) Remove boots (2) from ends of cylinder
51. Hydraulic Brake Master Cylinder
a. Removal. Refer to TM 10-3930-222-20.
(4) Remove pistons (8) from body.
(5) Remove cups (4) from body.
(1) Unscrew and remove fillercaps (1 and 8,
(6) Remove spring (5) from body.
fig. 85) and gasket (2 and 4) from body (9).
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(2) Remove push rod (6) and boot (5) from
(1) Wash all metal parts thoroughly in
denatured alcohol and dry completely with
(3) Remove end plug (19) and retaining ring
(17) from body.
(2) Inspect cylinder bore and pistons for rough,
(4) Remove cheek valve seat (18), check
scratched, or pitted surface. Hone cylinder
valve and spring (16), secondary piston
bore as necessary. Polish pistons with
(15), secondary cup (14), return spring (13),
crocus cloth or steel wool.
primary cup (12), and primary piston (11)
(3) Use wheel cylinder repair kit and replace
parts as necessary.
(5) Remove preformed packing (10) from
damaged items with serviceable ones
primary piston (11).
c. Assembly and Installation Reverse procedures
(6) Unscrew and remove relief valve assembly
in a above.
(29) and gasket (28) from body.
c. Cleaning and Inspection
53. Service Brakeshoe Assemblies
(1) Clean cylinder and ports in denatured
a. Removal, Adjustment, and Installation. Refer to
alcohol or brake fluid.
(2) Inspect cylinder bore for discoloration or
(3) Hone cylinder lightly as necessary.
(1) Inspect brake linings for wear.
d. Assembly. Reverse procedures in b above
(2) Inspect brakeshoes, levers, and links for
cracks, breaks, and other damages.
using master cylinder repair kit.
(3) Inspect wheel cylinder for leaks and other
e. Installation. Refer to TM 10-3930-222-20.
52. Wheel Cylinder
(1) Remove worn lining and install new lining,
a. Removal and Disassembly.
using bonded brake lining kit.
(1) Remove wheel cylinder (TM 10-3930-222 -
(2) Using wheel cylinder repair kit, repair
defective wheel cylinder.
(2) Pull connecting links (1, fig. 86) from wheel
(3) Install defective levers and links as
cylinder body (6).