16-11. BOOM ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT (CONT)
· Center of gravity for boom assembly is approximately 9 ft from rear end of boom assembly.
· Install a bolt and nut to top-front of outer boom. Install one hook to bolt and other two hooks to top-
rear of outer boom.
· Before installation of complete boom assembly, remove the countweight. Failure to install the
counterweight will result in the machine being rear end heavy and rear tipping may occur.
· Hydraulic oil in the system can be under pressures over 3000 psi (20685 kPa) with the engine OFF.
ALWAYS relieve pressure in hydraulic lines before attempting to remove any component in the
hydraulic system. With engine OFF, move control levers through all operating positions several
times to relieve line pressure. Relieve pressure in hydraulic oil tank by loosening filler cap very
slowly. Failure to follow these precautions could result in serious personal injury.
· Boom assembly including boom extend cylinder weighs approximately 4100 lb (1859.72 kg).
Attach suitable lifting device prior to installation to prevent possible injury to personnel.
Carefully lift boom assembly (6) into position over vehicle with hoist and sling or other suitable lifting
device. Lower boom assembly as required to align boom pivot pin holes.
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing
compounds can burn easily, can give off
harmful vapors, and are harmful to skin
and clothing. To avoid injury or death,
keep away from open fire and use in a
well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent,
or sealing compound gets on skin or
clothing, wash immediately with soap and
Position shims (27) between outer boom
section and inside surface of vehicle frame.
Apply anti-seize compound on boom pivot
pin (24) and install pivot pin in boom
assembly (6) and vehicle frame.