Section II. BODY AND CHASSIS ACCESSORY ITEMS MAINTENANCE
15-3. AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM SERVICING
This Task Covers:
a. Manifold Gage Set
c. Discharging System
e. Charging System
b. Manifold Gage Set Removal
d. Evacuating System
f. Checking/Adding Refrigerant
Tools and Special Tools
Engine shut down and cooled
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's: Automotive
(Item 23, Appendix D)
Compressor Tool Kit (Item 2, Appendix D)
Lubricating Oil (Item 27, Appendix B)
Refrigerant R-134a (Item 36, Appendix B)
Manifold Gage Set (Item 11, Appendix D)
· Always wear eye protection around refrigerant, or when servicing the air-conditioning
system. Injury will result if refrigerant comes in contact with eyes.
· Exercise extreme care when handling refrigerant, direct contact between refrigerant
and skin may cause frostbite.
· Never smoke in areas where refrigerant is used or stored. Injury to personnel may
· Ensure adequate ventilation whenever refrigerant is being discharged. Injury to
personnel may result if used in a confined area.
· Personnel with a history of cardiac rhythm abnormalities should be made aware of
potential aggravation as a result of exposure to refrigerant. Failure to do so may
result in injury to personnel.
· Do not attempt to connect servicing equipment while engine is running. Injury to
personnel or damage to equipment may result.
Whenever any air conditioning vapor system component needs replacement, the system
must be discharged, flushed, and a new dryer bottle installed.