Inspect main bearing halves (5 and
6) and thrust bearing (2). Replace
· back of bearing shows that fretting has
· back of bearing has a mirror-like
· there are scratches in the bearing
surface which do not disappear after
· bearing surface has material damage
such as cracks or flaking,
· there is a hole in the bearing surface,
· bearing shows wear on the mating
· bearing oil hole is distorted,
· there are hot spots in bearing surface,
· bearing has damage to the tab.
Inspect thrust bearing (2) flanges for
damage. If damaged, replace thrust
Inspect main bearing bores in the
block for cracks, chips, distortion, thread damage, or other damage. Replace cylinder
block if there is bearing bore damage.
Inspect and measure crankshaft (1) main bearing journals (Para 3-8).
Inspect main bearing caps (3) for cracks, fretted or chipped mating surfaces, distortion,
or damaged ring dowels.
Replace a damaged bearing cap (3).
Replace both bearing cap ring dowels if one or both are damaged.