(1) Disassemble and clean ring and pinion
gear assemblies (Para 8-5).
(2) Assemble pinion gear-bearing-cage
cover/brake mounting arm assembly.
(3) Test preload of pinion gear-cage cover/
brake mounting arm assembly.
(a) If assembly can be rotated around
bearings with 4 to 6 lbs pull as
measured with dial indicator, go to
Step (4) below.
(b) If assembly cannot be rotated
around bearings with 4 to 6 lbs of
pull, disassemble and add or take
away spacer shims to adjust
preload (Para 8-5).
(4) Assemble ring and pinion gear
(5) Test backlash of ring and pinion gears.
(a) If backlash is within 0.008 to 0.010
inch, install assemblies in housing.
Inspect universal joints and
transmission for damage
(b) If backlash is greater than 0.008 to
0.010, adjust mesh between ring
and pinion gears (Para 8-5).
(6) Install carrier assembly in housing.