The quarterly Equipment Improvement Report and Maintenance Digest TB 43-0001-39 series, contains valuable field
information on the equipment covered in this manual. The information in the TB 43-0001-39 series is compiled from some of
the Equipment Improvement Reports that you prepared on the vehicles covered in this manual. Many of these articles result
from comments, suggestions, and improvement recommendations that you submitted to the EIR program. The TB 43-0001-39
series contains information on equipment improvements, minor alterations, proposed Modification Work Orders (MWOs),
warranties (if applicable), actions taken on some of your DA Forms 2028-2 (Recommended Changes to Publications), and
advance information which will help you in doing your job better and will help in keeping you advised of the latest changes to
this manual. Also refer to DA PAM 310-1, Consolidated Index of Army Publications and Blank Forms, and Appendix A,
References, of this manual.
Section II. EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION
1-10. EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES, AND FEATURES
a. Purpose. The ATLAS is designed for loading and unloading munitions and other palletized items from transport
vehicles and containers. Also, the ATLAS can be used as a forklift truck.
b. Equipment Characteristics, Capabilities, and Features.
(1) The ATLAS can handle boxes, palletized ammunition loads, and other palletized items from transport vehicles and
(2) The vehicle frame can be tilted 9 degrees to left or right which allows vehicle to be level when traversing a
(3) The attachment can be raised to a nearly horizontal position for loading and unloading munitions.
(4) The forks tilt, level, and sideshift to maneuver loads.
(5) With 6K carriage, lifts loads of 6,000 lbs to a height of 28 ft. With 10K carriage, lifts loads of 4,000 lbs to a height of
27.5 ft, and 10,000 lbs to a height of 17 ft.
(6) Can tow other vehicles weighing 34,000 pounds or less.
(7) The operator can select one of three steering modes: two wheel, four wheel, and crab wheel.
(8) The ATLAS is all weather operational.
(9) Can ford in up to 36 inches of water.
(10) The ATLAS can travel at a maximum speed of 23 mph over level ground with an evenly distributed load.