2-17. OIL COOLER REPLACEMENT
This task covers: Removal, Cleaning, Inspection, and Installation
Tools and Test Equipment:
General Mechanics Tool Kit (1, App. E)
Oil Filter Tool (27, App. E)
Torque Wrench (32, App. E)
Drain Pan (10, App. E)
Compressed Air Source, 70 PSI
Materials / Parts:
Engine Oil (14, App. C)
Radiator drained (para. 2-46)
Gasket, Item 9 (1 ea.)
Engine oil drained (para. 2-20)
Gasket, Item 11 (1 ea.)
Alternator removed (para. 2-55)
O-Ring, Item 13 (1 ea.)
Heated engine parts and hot engine
oil can burn you. Take care not to
replacing oil filter.
1. Remove oil filter (1) from filter head (2) using a oil
filter tool. Discard filter. Remove filter adapter (3)
only if replacement is required.
2. Disconnect engine oil sampling tube (4). Remove
elbows (5, 6) and adapter (7). Remove and discard
3. Remove filter head (2) by removing fourteen screws
4. Remove filter head gasket (9), cooler core (10), and
core gasket (11). Discard gaskets.
5. Remove plug (12) only if replacement is required.