2-33. OPERATE IN DUSTY OR SANDY AREAS (Cont).
(7) Electrostatic discharge Is prevalent in a dry sandy environment and sand Is a difficult surface on which to
ground. When refueling your forklift truck from another vehicle, ensure that a metal circuit is maintained
between fuel tanker and forklift, and that both vehicles are grounded. Ensure that battery disconnect switch is
set to OFF position.
(8) When performing maintenance, cover area being worked to prevent contamination by dirt or dust.
(9) Park vehicle facing away from wind. Cover as much as possible. Cover windows to prevent abrasion.
b. Driving Tips.
(1) Check engine air filter restriction indicator on instrument panel often to ensure that air flow Is not restricted.
(2) Traveling over rocky desert terrain can quickly damage tires. Check condition of tires frequently.
(3) Travel over rocky desert terrain can damage frame, sheer rivets, or loosen nuts and bolts. Check mounting
bolts and nuts on wheels, skid plates, engine, transmission, and differentials after operation. Notify Unit
Maintenance of loose mounting hardware.
(4) After operations are completed, on a daily basis remove built-up sand from engine compartment and around
drive shafts, wheels, and pivot points.