retracting spring. Drive the first spring fully into posi-
tion drum bolt clearance notch faces the
wheel side of the torque plate.
(7) Install the remaining block and shoe assem-
(2) If the torque plate (8) has been removed from
axle housing, install with opening at top. Slide expand-
blies in a similar manner, that is, always keep one shoe
assembly ahead of the one in which the retracting
er tube (5) with inlet connection over the torque plate.
spring is being completely inserted.
(3) Position lower half of frame (9) over expander
tube and torque plate (8), and secure with bolts (4).
Tighten 3/8-inch bolts to 38-42 lb-ft, ½-inch bolts to
(1) Refer to figure 5-4 and reinstall the brake as-
95-100 lb-ft, and 5/8-inch bolts to 17-185 lb-ft torque;
(2) Replace the wheel (TM 10-3930-634-12).
g. Bleeding. Bleed the hydraulic brake system (TM
If necessary to line up frame with the bolt
holes, start at one end and install five bolts;
5 - 1 1 . Automatic Brake Adjusters
then install a clamp across the frame to line
a. Removal. Remove the automatic brake adjusters
up the last two holes, and install these bolts.
(4) Position upper half of frame over expander
b. Disassembly. Refer to figure 5-8 and disassemble
tube and torque plate, making sure that inlet connec-
the automatic brake adjuster in numerical sequence.
tion lines up with frame cutout. Install bolts. Tighten
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
/8-inch bolts to 38-42 lb/ft, ½-inch bolts to 95-100 lb-
ft, and 5/8-inch bolts to 170-185 lb-ft torque; dry
(1) Clean the automatic brake adjuster, using sol-
vent P-D-680, or equal. Do not saturate the dia-
phragm with solvent.
(5) Place a block and shoe assembly (2), between
(2) Inspect the automatic brake adjuster housing
the torque bars so that projecting end of shoe is ap-
for cracks and breaks.
proximately centered on a shield (3). Partially insert
(3) Inspect the diaphragm for damage.
retracting spring (1) to temporarily hold the lining as-
(4) Inspect hardware for damage.
sembly in place.
d. Reassembly. Refer to figure 5-8 and reassemble
(6) Dovetail a second block and shoe assembly into
the automatic brake adjuster.
the first block and shoe and partially insert a second