elements operate in oil which is circulated for cooling.
When the engine rotates, oil is thrown by the impeller
blades into the blades of the turbine causing the tur-
bine to rotate.
(1) Remove the torque converter assembly (para
( 2 ) Clean exterior of torque converter housing
thoroughly using cleaning solvent P-D-680.
(3) Remove 24 screw-assembled-washers securing
the impeller cover to the impeller as shown in figure
(4) Install two of the screw assemblies removed in
(3) above in the two threaded holes provided in the im-
peller cover as shown in figure 4-6, B, to act as jacking
s c r e w s . Holes are 180° apart. Turning the jacking
screws in will separate the impeller cover from the im-
peller. Carefully lift the impeller cover from the con-
verter housing so as not to damage the cover needle
(5) Remove turbine retaining ring and the turbine
and hub assembly as shown in figure 4-7. After tur-
bine and hub assembly is removed, remove the turbine