tools inserted from opposite end of block and small
diameter of pilot inserted into bore of the rear end
f. Reassembly of Camisnaft and Balance Shaft.
(1) Install spacer (17, fig. 3-120), thrust washer
(16), and key (18) on camshaft (20). Aline keyway and
press camshaft gear (14) on camshaft as shown in fig-
(2) Measure the clearance between the camshaft
thrust washer and the camshaft. The clearance must
be from 0.008 to 0.015 inch for new parts. Maximum
clearance is 0.019 inch for used parts.
(3) Install the nut on the camshafts fingertight.
(4) Install thrust washer (16, fig. 3-120) and key
(18) on balance shaft (19). Aline keyway and press bal-
ance shaft gear (13) on balance shaft in a similar man-
ner as shown in figure 3-124.
(5) Support the inner face of engine upper front
cover on wood blocks at least one inch thick to protect
(12) Install the front intermediate bearings in the
the dowel pins in the cover. Position new oil seals, lip
same manner as the rear intermediate bearings, para-
facing down, in cover bores. Press seals into cover un-
graph (10) preceding, with tools inserted from opposite
til seal is flush with inside face of bore.
end of block and inserting small diameter of pilot into
bore of the rear bearing.
(1) Lubricate the shafts and bearings with light
(13) Install the front end bearings in the same
weight engine oil.
manner as the rear end bearings, ((11) above), with