(4) Attach chain hoist to lifting tool to support the
(5) Remove the remaining flywheel attaching
(6) Move upper end of tool back and forth to
loosen flywheel, then withdraw flywheel from crank-
shaft and flywheel housing.
(1) If the ring gear (4, fig. 3-101) requires replace-
ment, support the flywheel, crankshaft side down, on
a solid flat surface on a hardwood block, which is
slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the ring
Before removing the ring gear note the
chamfer, if any, on the gear teeth so the new
gear can be installed in the same position.
(2) Drive the ring gear off of the flywheel with a
suitable draft and hammer. Work around the circum-
ference of the ring gear to avoid binding of the gear on
d. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean all parts with cleaning solvent P-D-680
and dry thoroughly.
(2) Inspect the flywheel for cracks, damaged