REPAIR OF ENGINE
Section I. COOLING SYSTEM
(3) Immerse the radiator in a vat of water and
apply air pressure at 5-10 psi. Leaks will be indicated
This section contains information on the mainte-
by escaping air bubbles.
nance of the engine cooling system which is comprised
of the radiator, water pump, fan, and oil cooler.
Air pressure exceeding 10 pounds per square
inch may damage the radiator core.
g. Installation. Refer to figure 3-1 and install the
a. General. The radiator assembly is bolted to the
front of the engine base (at the rear end of forklift). To
increase the cooling efficiency of the radiator, a fan
shroud is positioned around the fan. A fan guard is
securely attached to the shroud. The water pump is a
high-capacity centrifugal type. It is belt-diven at
greater than engine speed, and it circulates the coolant
through the cooling system.
(1) Remove the engine hood (TM 10-
(2) Open the draincock at the bottom of the radia-
tor and drain coolant. Refer to figure 3-1 and remove
c. Disassembly. Refer to figure 32 and disassemble
the radiator in numerical sequence.
d. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Inspect the external condition of the radiator.
( 2 ) Inspect mounting hardware for rust and
(3) Inspect the radiator core and inside of radiator
for scale deposits.
(4) Steam cleaning is the preferred method of
cleaning the radiator. The radiator may also be cleaned
using the alkaline immersion process with cleaning
c o m p o u n d P-C-436. After use of this process,
thoroughly rinse until free of alkaline solution.
(5) Examine each part for cracks or other damage.
(6) When repainting the radiator core, use a thin
coat of dull, black radiator paint. Ordinary oil paints
do not transmit heat as well.
(7) Repair or replace a defective radiator. Solder
all leaks in the core. Replace all defective parts.
e. Reassembly. Refer to figure 3-2 and reassemble
the radiator in reverse of numerical sequence.
(1) If a leak in the radiator cannot be located, plug
the inlet, filler and overflow pipes.
(2) Insert an air hose into the outlet pipe and plug