Figure 9-29. Checking Bearing Clearance with Shim
Figure 9-28. Checking Bearing Clearance with
(3) Install the cap on the block; secure with the
Clearance must be between 0.0006 and
screws and lockwashers. Tighten the screws to 85 to 95
0.0032 inch. If the clearance is not within these limits,
replace the bearings and recheck the clearance.
(4) Try to turn the crankshaft by hand. If the
Remove and replace the bearings as follows:
crankshaft will not turn or a definite drag is felt, bearing-
(1) Remove the bearing cap; remove the bearing
to-bearing journal clearance is within tolerance. Remove
from the cap.
the shim stock and reinstall the bearing caps.
(2) Install a pin with an angular head in the oil hole
After all main bearings have been installed,
in the crankshaft bearing journal (fig. 9-27).
check crankshaft end play using a dial indicator. If end
(3) Rotate the crankshaft by hand. The pin will
play is not between 0.002 and 0.006 inch, replace the
force the top bearing half out of its seat.
thrust plate (9, fig. 9-20) as follows:
(4) Position the replacement bearing on the
(1) Pull the gear (6) from the crankshaft. Remove
crankshaft bearing journal. Rotate the crankshaft by
the thrust plate (9).
hand. The pin will force the bearing half into position.
(2) Position a new thrust plate and one key (7) on
(5) Install the replacement bearing half in the cap.
the crankshaft; drive the gear onto the shaft.
Install the cap.
(3) Press the gear into final position by installing
Check the remaining bearing-to-bearing
the oil slinger (5), pulley (4), washer (2) and bolt (1).
journal clearances and replace bearings as necessary.
(4) Remove the nut, washer, pulley, and slinger
An alternate method of checking bearing
after the gear is fully seated.
clearance is as follows:
Install the pistons and connecting rods (para 9-
(1) Oil the bearing and bearing journal with engine
Install the flywheel housing and flywheel (para
(2) Position a strip of 0.003-inch feeler gage, 1/2
inch long, on the bearing cap (fig. 9-29).
Install the gear cover (para 9-21).
Install the oil pan and oil pump (para 9-17).
Install the cylinder head (para 9-9).
Section XII. CAMSHAFT
which is installed on the crankshaft and the other on the
camshaft. The camshaft gear has
The camshaft is driven by the timing gears, one of
Change 1 9-23