Install the carriage, mast, and lift cylinder (para
(5) Run the fork lift truck in forward and reverse for
a total of 3 minutes. Stop the engine and check the fluid
level with the dipstick. Add transmission fluid until the
level reaches the full mark on the dipstick.
(6) Check, and adjust if necessary, the brake pedal
free travel (TM 10-3930-632-12).
a. Testing. If the transmission and engine are
(7) Adjust the engine speed for prescribed no-load
operative and there is no obvious damage, it is a good
RPM (TM 10-3930-632-12).
practice to check the operation of the transmission to
(8) Check the engine for normal engine stall by
localize and identify troubles. This is easily done prior to
positioning the truck against an immovable object and
This practice will help to
with the engine in gear, accelerating to full throttle
determine the areas of the transmission which will
position. Normal engine stall is between 1210 and 1300
require particular attention at overhaul. Proceed as
RPM. If the engine stalls between 1000 and 1210 RPM,
the engine is losing power.
(1) Steam-clean the entire fork lift truck before
(9) If the engine stalls between 650 and 900 RPM,
testing the transmission. Clean the radiator (TM 10-
the torque converter stator is slipping and the torque
converter must be replaced (para 2-5).
(2) Remove the drain plugs from the axle adapter
(10) Check the transmission oil pump pressure as
and transmission to drain transmission and axle.
(3) Refer to figure 14-2 and remove items (30)
(a) Remove the pipe plug and install a
through (35); clean and reinstall.
pressure gage that will indicate between 0 and 200 PSI
(4) Replace the transmission oil filter and fill the
at the converter housing outlet (fig. 2-12).
transmission and axle to the required level with oil (LO