Figure 2-8. Steering Gear, Removal and Installation.
gear housing. If low, add enough lubricant to bring the
level up to the plug (LO 10-3930-632-12).
(1) Refer to figure 2-8 and install the steering gear.
(c) Tighten the housing assembly bolts.
(2) Adjust the steering gear as directed in
(d) Determine the straight-ahead position of
subparagraph c below.
the steering mechanism by turning the steering wheel to
(3) Install and adjust the drag link (TM 10-3930-
the extreme right. Then turn to the extreme left, counting
the exact number of turns from the right to the left end.
(4) Install the transmission control lever on the
Turn the steering wheel back one-half the number of
steering gear (para 14-2).
wheel turns. Mark the steering wheel with respect to the
(5) Install the instrument panel (TM 10-3930-632-
steering column so the center position may readily be
found during adjustment procedures.
(1) Centering the steering wheel.
(a) Disconnect the drag link from the pitman
arm. Note the relative position of drag link parts when
Approach the extreme ends cautiously; the ball
disconnecting the link so the parts may be reassembled
nut (2, fig. 2-9) must not strike the ends of the
steering shaft (3) with any degree of force.
(b) Check the lubricant level in the steering