(3) Remove nut (10) and lock washer (11);
(4) Using a suitable puller, pull steering
wheel (12) from steering gear shaft.
(1) Install steering wheel (12, fig. 4-9) on
steering wheel shaft. Secure wheel with nut (10) and
lock washer (11).
(2) Install base plate (9) and secure with
screws (8) and lock wire (7).
(3) Refer to paragraph 4-25 and install horn
4-40. Steering System Adjustments
a. General. Adjustments required consist of
wheel toe-in, drag link and spindle stops.
(1) Place a jack under rear of truck and
raise truck far enough to provide working clearance.
Place blocks under truck to hold in raised position.
Blockfront wheels to prevent movement.
1. Adjusting plug
(2) Remove toe and floor plates to gain
2. Ball seat
access to steering cylinder.
(3) Turn master switch on and, sitting in
4. Cotter pin
operator's seat, turn wheels to bring them into position
5. Lubrication fitting
parallel with frame.
6. Tie rod tube
(4) Measure the distance between the
centers of the wheel treads at the rear of the tires and
8. Lubrication fitting
then at the front of the tires.
9. Ball socket
(5) If measurements are the same, no
adjustment is required. If measurements are unequal,
adjust the tie rods.
12. Cotter pin
(6) Remove cotter pin (12, fig. 4-27) and
nut (11). Remove boot (10) and tap ball socket (9) from
Figure 4-27. Tie rod, exploded view.