Discard fluid salvaged from brake
system during bleeding operation. Do
not use in system.
4-34. Service Brake Brake Shoes
a. General. The service brake brake shoes are
mounted behind the dust shield. The shoes are attached
to the wheel cylinders and return springs. The brakes
(1) Refer to paragraph 4-37 and remove the
front drive wheel and tire assembly.
(2) Refer to figure 4-21 and remove brake
dust shield as follows:
Figure 4-20. Service brake system bleeder screw.
(3) Open the bleeder screw one turn.
(4) Slowly depress brake pedal to end of
travel and release pedal.
Repeat several times.
Observe hose in jar and repeat pumping of brake pedal
until no air bubbles escape from hose. Hold pedal at
bottom of travel and close bleeder screw to keep
additional air from entering system.
Figure 4-21. Service brake dust shield, installed view.
While pumping pedal check fluid level in
Add fluid to keep
(a) Remove four screws and lock washers
cylinder as close to full as possible at all
securing dust' shield to axle. Remove wheel bearing
(b) Carefully remove dust shield from around
(5) Close bleeder screw and disconnect
hose. Repeat operation on bleeder screw on other front
(3) Refer to figure 4-22 and remove brake
shoes as follows:
(6) Fill master cylinder to proper level after
(a) Disconnect three springs from brake
bleeding operation. Replace filler cap.