(5) Install connecting rod bearing cap and
(8) Replace bearings if they do not meet
specifications stated above.
evenly tighten nuts to a torque of 40 to 45 foot pounds
(54.2 to 61.0 NĚ ).
(9) Refer to TM 10-3930-630-12 and install
(6) Try to move the connecting rod from side
(10) Refer to paragraph 11-7 and install the oil
to side. A well fitting bearing should be just loose
enough to be snapped from side to side. This condition
(11) Refer to paragraph 2-24 and install the
shows the bearings and crankpins are satisfactory.
engine in the truck.
(7) Remove connecting rod bearing cap and
remove feeler stock.
Repeat operation for each
connecting rod bearing, one at a time.
Section IV. TIMING GEARS AND CAMSHAFT
and fan drive in numerical sequence as illustrated in
The gear train consists of the crankshaft gear, the
camshaft gear and fan drive gear. The crankshaft gear
11-22. Gear Cover and Fan
drives the camshaft gear, which in turn drives the fan
Inspection and Repair
a. Clean all metal parts in cleaning compound,
11-21. Gear Cover and Fan Drive, Removal and
solvent (Fed. Spec. P-D-680) and dry thoroughly.
b. Inspect all gears for wear, broken teeth and
c. Inspect fan drive adapter shaft for wear,
(1) Refer to TM 10-3930-630-12 and remove
damage, and bearing for good condition.
radiator belts and fan.
d. Inspect gear cover for cracks and damage.
(2) Refer' to paragraph 2-12 and remove the
e. Replace unserviceable parts.
(3) The gear cover and fan drive is removed in
the disassembly procedure.
b. Disassembly. Disassemble the gear cover