f. Inspect bores in housing for wear and scoring.
11-8. Oil Pan Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
g. Replace unserviceable parts.
a. Clean pan thoroughly with cleaning com-
pound, solvent (Fed. Spec. P-D-680) and dry.
11-12. Oil Pump, Reassembly and Installation
b. Inspect pan (4, fig. 11-12) for cracks and other
damage. Check gasket surface and clean thoroughly.
c. Inspect filler blocks and seals for deterioration
(1) Install key (14, fig. 11-13) on shaft (13) and
press driven gear (15) on shaft. Secure gear with
d. Replace unserviceable parts.
retaining ring (12).
(2) Install shaft (13) through housing (18).
11-9. Oil Pan, Reassembly and Installation
Press drive gear (11) on shaft and drive pin (9)
a. Reassemble and install the oil pan assembly in
through shaft (13) and gear (11).
reverse numerical sequence as illustrated in figure 11-
(3) Install idler gear (16) in housing.
(4) Check gear clearance in body as shown on
b. Refer to LO 10-3930-630-12 and fill engine with
figure 11-14, using a feeler gage. Gears must have a
clearance of 0.001 to 0.003 inch (0.025 to 0.096 mm) in
11-10. Oil Pump, Removal and Disassembly
the housing and must have no contact with the walls.
a. Refer to paragraph 11-7 and remove oil pan.
(5) Install gasket (8) on housing and check gear end
b. Remove and disassemble the oil pump
clearance with a feeler gage as shown on figure 11-15.
assembly in numerical sequence as illustrated in figure
The clearance must be 0.0015 to 0.006 inch (0.038 to
(6) Install cover (7), gasket (6) and frame (5).
11-11. Oil Pump Cleaning, Inspec tion and Repair
Secure frame with screws (4) Install screen (3) in
a. Clean all metal parts in cleaning compound,
solvent (Fed. Spec. P-D-680) and dry thoroughly.
b. Inspect drive gear for wear and damage.
(1) Install coupling (10) and install pump in engine.
c. Check screen for clogging and damage.
Make sure drive gear (11) meshes with gear on
d. Inspect cover for wear and damage. Refinish
cover surface, if necessary.
(2) Secure pump with nut (1) and lock washer (2).
e. Check driven and idler gears for wear and
(3) Refer to paragraph 11-9 and install oil pan.
(4) Refer to LO 10-3930-630-12, and fill engine with
oil and operate engine to check oil pressure. Adjust oil
pressure (para 11-15) if necessary.