(5) Put a light coat of oil in the crankshaft end
(1) Remove the oil pan.
of the connecting rod and install upper half of connecting
(2) Mark the main bearing caps for correct
rod bearing, making certain that the bearing lock fits in
the machined groove in the rod. Apply a light coat of oil
to the bearing half, and install the piston and connecting
rod in the cylinder bore.
(6) Connecting rods are numbered according
To keep crankshaft supported, one
to cylinder bore in which they must be installed. Oil
pair of bearings should be replaced at
squirt hole in rod should be installed toward camshaft
a time, leaving bearing capscrews
side of engine.
snug, but not tight when installing,
Crankshaft journal should be at bottom dead center of
until all bearings are replaced.
bore in which piston and rod is being installed. Use a
hammer handle to force piston through compressor into
(3) Remove main bearing capscrews and
cylinder bore. While forcing piston into bore, ring
remove bearing caps from engine block.
compressor must be kept tight against cylinder block to
(4) Remove bearing insert halves (Figure 6-
prevent damage to piston rings as they are forced into
38) from caps.
(5) Insert bearing removing tool or flat head
(7) Apply a light coat of oil to connecting rod
rivet, with head thickness less than that of bearing shell,
bearing cap and install lower half of the connecting rod
into oil hole in the crankshaft journal. Rotate crankshaft
bearing in cap, making certain that bearing lock fits in
so that tool or rivet forces upper bearing half out of
machined notch of rod. Apply a light coat of oil to
engine block. Make certain to rotate crankshaft in proper
bearing and install bearing cap and bearing on
direction so that bearing lock is pushed out of notch in
connecting rod. Tighten nuts to 39 foot pounds torque.
Install cotter pins in nuts.
(6) Coat new bearing half with OE and insert
(8) Complete installation of pistons. Before
in same manner as old bearing half was removed.
replacing the engine head, squirt a few drops of oil
(7) Coat lower bearing half with OE and insert
around edges of pistons to help lubricate rings when
in bearing cap.
(8) Install bearing cap following procedures in
(9) Complete installation by reversing removal
b. below to check clearances. After clearance is
checked, leave capscrews loose so other bearings may
6-81. CRANKSHAFT AND BEARINGS.
be accurately checked.
a. Replacement of crankshaft bearings.
Figure 6-38. Measuring Main Bearing Clearance