(2) Remove both screws and washers (Figure
6-25) and remove pump and gasket from engine.
(1) Remove drain plug (Figure 6-26) and drain
all fuel into a container. Observe safety precautions for
(2) Unscrew cap completely from tank fill
(1) Unscrew nut and disconnect bail from
(3) Disconnect pipe nipple from elbow.
(4) Hoist truck to obtain access, remove four
(2) Remove bowl, screw and gasket. Discard
nuts, eight washers and four screws, and remove tank
(1) Remove tank (a. above).
(2) Put one gallon SD in tank and slosh it
around. Pour out SD quickly through fill pipe, to carry out
(3) Air dry tank interior.
Some gasoline will probably be
spilled at this time from the bowl.
(1) Replace all defective detachable parts.
Take precautions against fire.
(2) If damaged threads are repairable, clean
threads with tap.
d. Reassembly. Reverse procedure in c. above
(3) After purging tank of all gasoline fumes by
using a new gasket.
water flush and carbon dioxide discharge, weld all cracks
and leaks so tank does not leak air at 5 psi internal
e. Cleaning. Rinse bowl and screen in SD.
f. Installation. Reverse b. above.
Do not exceed 5 psi during test.
(4) Rinse interior with alcohol (or approved
equivalent), drain, and air dry.
(5) Paint exterior with zinc chromate primer.
(6) If tank is to be returned to stock for later
issue, fog interior with preservative oil and seal all
openings with tape.
Otherwise, install fuel tank.
d. Installation. Reverse procedure in a. above.
GOVERNOR AND CONTROLS.
(1) Connect a tachometer to the engine to
read engine rpm.
(2) Start and warm up engine to operating
Figure 6-25. Fuel Pump, Exploded View