TABLE 6-1. TRANSMISSION PRESSURES
Idle rpm for this vehicle is 450 to 500 maximum. Maximum rpm is 2400 and stall rpm is 1615 to 1785 at 200 deg. oil
(4) With inching valve out (brake pedal
e. Transmission disassembly.
depressed), both FORWARD CLUTCH PRESSURE and
REVERSE CLUTCH PRESSURE must be 0 psi at all
(1) Remove capscrews (23 and 24, figure 6-16)
and washers (5) from valve (22) body block and remove
valve from transmission.
(5) Test pressures listed in table 6-1 at all engine
(2) Mark oil pump (78) and case front half (73) to
insure proper reinstallation, and remove capscrews (80)
and washers (79) holding pump to case front half.
(1) Drain oil from transmission. Disconnect
(3) Lay transmission on case rear half (45) and
leads at neutral safety switch and at transmission
remove capscrews (71 and 72), and washers (70)
warning light transmitter.
holding case front half (73) to case. Lift off case front
half and clutch assembly (2) as a unit.
(2) Disconnect oil cooler hoses at cooler bypass
valve (figure 6-15) and cooler return port. Cap hoses
and plug ports to exclude dirt.
Be careful not to damage the seal
rings (3) in the collector ring (6).
(3) Disconnect inching and shifting linkage at
(4) Remove case front half from clutch assembly
by removing retaining ring (75) on the turbine shaft and
(4) Place wheeled floor jack or equivalent
sliding case front half from clutch assembly.
beneath transmission to relieve weight, and remove nuts,
screws and washers from rubber sandwich mountings.
(5) Remove the forward gear (25) and forward
shaft (27) in the following manner:
(5) Remove twelve screws and washers which
(6) Remove capscrews (34) and lockwashers
attach transmission to engine.
(33) holding forward shaft cover (32) and remove cover
and gasket (31).
(7) Remove retaining ring (26) on the forward
At this point, the transmission is
side of the forward gear.
supported only by the floor jack
(8) Tap the forward shaft on the front end, while
Take all necessary
holding the forward gear through the valve block opening
precautions that it does not fall, to
and pull the shaft (27) and bearing (28) assembly
cause injury to personnel or damage
rearward from the gear box.
(6) Draw transmission horizontally from engine
until splined shafts leave bore of torque converter on
engine flywheel, raise truck as needed to give clearance,
and remove transmission from under truck.