3-65. Service Brake Wheel Cylinder
(1) Refer to figure 3-54 and install wheel cylinder
on brake backing plate as follows:
(1) Refer to paragraph 3-64 and remove the serv-
(a) Install wheel cylinder on backing plate
ice brake brake shoes.
and secure with two screws and lock washers.
(2) Refer to figure 3-54 and remove the wheel
(b) Connect brake line to fitting in wheel
cylinder as fo1lows:
(a) Disconnect brake line from fitting in wheel
(2) Refer to paragraph 3-64 and install service
brake brake shoes.
(b) Remove two screws and lock washers secur-
(3) Refer to paragraph 3-63 and bleed the brake
ing wheel cylinder to hacking plate and remove wheel
system hydraulic lines.
Section XVII. WHEELS
(c) Remove outer wheel bearing (4) from wheel
a. The front drive wheels are mounted on spindles
(d) Remove wheel assembly (3). Remove wheel
attached to the axles. Jackshafts, nit-h pinion gears,
carefully to prevent damage to brake shoes or drums.
extend through the brake assemblies and mesh with
(e) Remove inner wheel gearing (2) and grease
the ring or bull gears in the wheels. Rotation of the
pinions cause the ring gears to rotate around the
spindle, driving the truck.
b. The rear steering wheels mount on spindles
(1) Inspect wheel and tire for damage. Check
attached to the steering axle. Action of the hydraulic
teeth on ring or bull gear inside wheel for damage.
steering cylinder moves the pivot arm assembly.
(2) Inspect brake drum for cracks, flat spots, ex-
Tie rods, extending to the spindles are connected to
cessive wear, and damage.
the pivot arm. As the pivot arm moves, the tie rods
(3) Inspect hearings and bearing cups in wheel
move the spindles, turning the wheels in the direc-
for wear or damage.
tion of travel desired.
(4) Clean bearings and hearing surfaces with
c. Both pairs of n-heels are mounted on tapered
cleaning compound, solvent (Spec. P-S-661).
roller hearings. The bearings must be greased and
d. Front Wheel Installation. Refer to figure 3-57
adjusted as described in paragraph 3-67.
and install the wheel assembly as follows:
(1) Repack the inner and outer bearings with
3-67. Wheels and Tires
a. General. The front or drive wheel assemblies
(2) Install grease shield (1) and inner bearing
consist of the wheel and brake drum tire, wheel hear-
(2) on axle spindle, with taper on bearing pointing
ings, and a ring or bull gear. The rear or steering
wheel assemblies consist of the wheel, tire, and wheel
(3) Install wheel assembly (3) on bearing and
spindle. Hold wheel assembly in place and install
b. Front Wheel Removal.
outer wheel bearing (4) on spindle and inside wheel,
(1) Raise the front of the truck until the wheel
tapered side in.
clears the floor. Tilt mast to full backward position.
(4) Install wheel nut (6) and washer (5) on spindle.
Place a wooden block under the mast assembly and
Tighten nut and as nut is tightened rotate wheel.
tilt mast forward to vertical position. Movement
Continue tightening nut until heavy drag is felt while
of mast will elevate drive wheel clear of the floor.
(5) Slowly loosen nut and rotate wheel. Loosen
(2) Refer to figure 3-57 and remove front drive
nut to a point where wheel rotates freely and no hear-
wheel as follows:
ing end play is evident.
(a) Remove three screws (9) and lock washers
(6) Install cotter pin (10) to secure nut.
(8) and remove hub cap (7).
(7) Install hub cap (7) and secure with three
(b) Remove cotter pin (10) from wheel nut
screws (9) and lock washers (8).
(6) and remove wheel nut and washer (5) from axle.