c. Disassembly. Refer to figure 3-33 and disassem-
ble the distributor far enough to replace rotor and
contacts as follows:
(1) Release cap retaining springs (8) and remove
cap (l), rotor (2), and dust cover (3), from housing
(2) Remove breaker lever (6) from pin. Remove
two screws (5) and remove contact assembly (4).
(3) Disconnect wire and remove screw (11) and
lock washer (10) and remove capacitor (7).
d. Inspection and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts thoroughly and replace any
damaged or worn parts. Do not use solvent or de-
greasing compound on cap, dust cover, rotor, capa-
citor, insulator, or housing.
(2) Clean slightly worn or pitted contact points
with a few strokes of a clean fine-cut file. Replace
points if worn or badly pitted.
(3) Check breaker lever rubbing block for ex-
(4) Check capacitor for leakage. Replace capaci-
tor if unable to test.
(5) Check distributor cap and rotor for cracks,
burned or pitted contacts, and carbon streaks.
e Assembly. Refer to figure 3-33 and assemble
distributor as follows:
(1) Install capacitor (7) and secure with screw
(11) and lock washer (10). Connect capacitor wire to
(2) Install contact assembly (4) and secure with
screws (5). Do not tighten lock screw.
(3) Install breaker lever (6) on pin.
(4) Install dust cover (3) and rotor (2).
f. Installation Refer to figure 3-32 and install dis-
tributor as follows:
(1) Install ignition distributor in drive assembly.
(2) Secure distributor and advance arm with
screws and lock washers. Install cap on distributor
and secure with springs.
Note. Before installing spark plug cables and high tension
cable, adjust point gap (g below).
(3) Install spark plug cables and high tension
cable in distributor cap sockets.
(4) Connect coil primary wire to terminal on dis-
g. Distributor Point Adjustment.
(1) Adjust distributor points as follows:
(2) Remove timing cover on flywheel housing
(3) Remove spark plug from number one cylin-
der. Place thumb over spark plug opening. Rotate
the engine crankshaft by hand until outward pres-
sure against thumb is felt. Continue cranking slowly
until T.D.C. mark (fig. 3-9) is alined with the refer-
ence line at the center of the timing hole.
Figure 3-33. Ignition distribution, exploded view