(2) Remove the retaining ring (4) and
separate the inner tube assembly (6), wiper ring (7),
Caution: Be certain that all parts are
bearing (5), backup ring (2), and preformed packing (2
clean and that there is no foreign matter in the tube
assembly 118, fig. 3-27.
(3) Unscrew the outer packing nut (9) and
(1) Place the tube assembly in a bench vise.
separate the wiper ring (11), backup ring (14), and
Be careful not to apply excessive pressure which might
preformed packing (12 and 13).
deform the tube.
(4) Using a spanner wrench, unscrew the stop
(2) Install the parts in the reverse order of
Do not overtighten packing nuts as
(5) Lift out the plunger assembly (17) and
leakage may result.
remove the bearing (16).
3-21. Side Shift Cylinder
c. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
a. Removal. Remove the side shift cylinder (TM
(1) Clean all metallic parts with solvent.
(2) Inspect the tube and plunger assemblies,
packing nuts, and bearings for cracks, nicks, scores,
(1) Remove retainer ring (1, fig.
dents, excessive wear on sliding surfaces, stripped
securing spacer (2) in position, then remove spacer.
threads or other damage.
(3) Replace damaged parts as necessary.