c. Cleaning and Inspection.
b. Disassembly. Refer to figure 2-28 and disassemble
(1) Clean all parts thoroughly and replace any
the distributor in numerical disassembly sequence.
damaged or worn parts. Do not clean the cap, dust
cover, rotor, condenser, insulator, or housing in de-
(2) Repair slightly worn or pitted contact points
with a few strokes of a clean fine cut point file. Replace
contact points if worn or badly pitted.
(3) Check the breaker lever rubbing block for
(4) Check the condenser for leakage. Replace it
if testing is impractical.
(5) Check the distributor cap and rotor for
cracks, burning of contacts, or carbon streaks.
d. Assembly. Reverse procedure in b above.
e. Installation. Reverse procedures in a above.
f. Adjustments. Refer to paragraph 2-14 for ig-
nition timing adjustment.
(1) Remove distributor cap rotor and dust cover.
(2) Rotate the crankshaft until the breaker lever
rubbing block ix on a high spot on the cam, thus open-
ing the contact, points to their maximum open position.
(3) Loosen the contact plate locking screw.
(4) Turn the eccentric adjusting screw to obtain
the correct gap of 0.022 inch and tighten the locking
(5) Recheck the gap after tightening the locking
(6) Install the dust, rover, rotor, and distributor
2-35. Spark Plugs
Spark plugs and spark plug wires must always be
maintained in good condition and kept. free of dirt
and grease. Replace any burned, cracked, broken, or
otherwise unserviceable spark plugs.
(1) Disconnect wires at the spark plugs. Blow out
all dirt from the spark plug wells with compressed air.
(2) Use a spark plug socket wrench and remove
the spark plugs. Make sure the socket fits correctly to
avoid damaging the plugs.
(3) As each plug is removed make sure the copper
gasket is also removed.
(1) Clean spark plugs by scraping excess carbon
and lead deposits off the electrodes and insulator body.
10 Plate, breaker
(2) Sand blasting does not clean between the
electrodes and will ruin the glaze on the insulator
material if left in the sand blast machine too long.
15 Pin, spring
(3) Using a file, file electrodes until square on flat
at the gap surface.
Figure 2-28. Ignition distributor. exploded view.
(4) Clean exposed insulator surface of all grease,
dirt or paint.