Figure 3-7. Foot brake and seat brake linkage.
linder before each wheel cylinder is bled. Re-
tially of tapping self-adjuster levers toward cen-
place filler plug in master cylinder.
ter of axle.
(3) Install front wheels (para 3-72) and
Caution: Hydraulic brake fluid bled from
operate brake pedal several times to adjust
the brake system must not be reused.
c. Brakeshoe Removal.
3-31. Master Cylinder
(1) Remove drive axle wheel (para 3-72).
(2) With brake spring pliers, remove
brakeshoe return spring (fig. 3-9) and retainer
(1) Remove floor plate (para 3-18).
spring. Carefully remove brakeshoes, and install
(2) Remove hollow bolt (fig. 3-7) and
brake clamps on wheel cylinder to prevent
brakeline fitting from front of master cylinder.
pistons being pushed out of cylinder by residual
Take precautions to keep dirt from entering
pressure in brake lines.
d. Brakeshoe Installation.
(3) Remove nuts, lockwashers, and screws
(1) Reverse procedure in c(2) above.
attaching master cylinder to truck, and remove
(2) Temporarily adjust shoes inward as far
master cylinder. Pushrod will remain connected
as they will go. This procedure consists essen-
to brakeshaft and need not be removed.