Section VIII. LOAD BACKREST, FORKS AND UPRIGHT ASSEMBLY
(4) Remove chain assembly from truck by
3-22. Load Backrest (fig. 3-4)
reeving over rollers.
a. Removal. Hoist load backrest to disengage
(5) Repeat steps (1) through (4) for re-
from carriage and remove from truck.
maining chain assembly.
b. InstaIlation. Reverse procedure in a above.
c. Repair. Repair is limited to replacing dam-
3-23. Forks (fig. 3-4)
(1) With chain removed from truck, use a
a. Removal. Fully lower carriage, pull up on
chain breaking tool and remove damaged link or
ring catch to release fork lock and disengage
links from chain. Failure of one link may dam-
fork from carriage. Repeat with other fork.
age adjacent links. Remove all damaged links.
b. Installation. Reverse procedure in a above
(2) Install replacement link and rivet pin
positioning forks in desired locations on carri-
end to secure side plates of chain.
Note. Plates of end links are secured by cotter-
pins. Do not rivet or peen these pins.
3-24. Chain Assemblies
a. Adjustment. Lift chain adjustment is pro-
(1) Insert link in end of chain and into
vided at the base of the outer channel. Lower
brackets on carriage assembly. Secure link with
carriage (fig. 3-5) until hoist cylinder bottoms.
cotterpins in ends.
Remove slack from chains, adjusting the chain
(2) Reeve chains over rollers as shown in
adjusting nuts until chains are taut.
Caution: Be certain load is shared equally
(3) Secure chain to chain anchor with cot-
by both chains, otherwise first chain to begin
terpin through link ends.
lifting will cock crosshead and cause rapid wear
(4) Secure chain anchors to base of outer
and damage to hoist cylinder.
upright with adjustment nuts and adjust chain
tension (para 3-24a).
(1) Lower carriage until hoist cylinder bot-
3-25. Upright Assembly
(2) Remove bottom adjusting nuts securing
Organizational maintenance of the upright as-
chain anchor to outer upright.
sembly is performed in accordance with the lu-
(3) Remove cotterpin and bottom chain
brication indicated in the lubrication order (LO
link from rear of carriage.