(1) Remove the top cover (TM 10-3930-243-
(2) Drain cooling system (TM 10-3930-243-
( 3 ) Refer to figure 3 - 9 4 and remove the
(1) Inspect external condition of radiator.
(2) Inspect mounting hardware for rust and
(3) Inspect radiator core and inside of radiator
for scale deposits. Steam cleaning is a preferred
method of cleaning radiator.
(4) Examine each part for cracks or other
damage. Replace or repair a faulty radiator.
When repainting the radiator core, use a thin coat of
dull black paint. Ordinary oil paints do not transmit
heat as well.
(1) If a leak in the radiator cannot be located,
plug the inlet, filler and overflow pipes.
(2) Insert an air hose into outlet pipe and plug
(3) Immerse the radiator in a vat of water and
apply air pressure at 5-10 psi.
Do not exceed 10 pounds per square
inch, as it may damage radiator core.
(1) Refer to figure 3 - 9 4 and install the
(2) Refill the cooling system to proper level
Figure 3-94. Radiator, removal and installation.
( T M 10-3930-243-12}.
( 3 ) install top cover (TM 10-3930-243-34).
Section VII. TRANSMISSION
torque converter is a single-stage polyphase, 3-
element unit consisting of a converter pump, stator
This section contains information on the main-
and turbine. The torque converter elements are
tenance of transmission assembly. This includes the
vaned, aluminum castings. The pump element is
transmission, torque converter, control valves and
driven by the engine. The turbine element drives
main pressure regulator valve. The transmission
the planetary gearing. The stator is the reaction
has three speeds and a transfer case and is the
m e m b e r which multiplies torque between the
fullpowershift type, consisting of a torque converter
engine and transmission gearing. A single integral
c o u p l e d to p l a n e t a r y g e a r i n g c o n t r o l l e d b y
hydraulic system lubricates, cools, and controls the
hydraulic clutches. The gearing and clutches give
transmission. A pump, which supplies pressure at
forward and reverse operation in every range.
any time the engine is running, draws oil from the
3-38. Torque Converter and Transmission
sump. Control valves regulate pressure and direct
a. General. The torque converter and trans-
oil to various components. Oil pressure applies the
mission assembly is removed as an assembly. The
clutches. Oil is the power-transmitting medium in