Figure 3-81. Idler gear assembly, disassembly and reassembly.
g e a r hub through the end plate and into the
d. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean the idler gear and bearing assembly,
counterbore in the cylinder block.
hub and thrust washers thoroughly. Examine gear
(3) Insert two 3/8 inch-16 bolts through the
teeth and bearing for scoring, pitting, and wear. If
idler gear hub and thread them into the cylinder
gear teeth are worn or bearing is scored, pitted or
block, as shown in figure 3-82 to be sure the bolt
h o l e s will be in alignment when the flywheel
worn excessively, the gear and bearing and bearing
housing is installed.
assembly must be replaced, or a new bearing in-
stalled in the gear. Also, examine the outside
(4) Insert the 3/8 inch-16 by 1¾ inch special
diameter of the idler gear hub and thrust washers
bolt through the center of the idler gear hub and
for being scored and worn. If the thrust washers or
thread it into the cylinder block. Tighten bolt to 30-
gear hub are scored and worn excessively, they
35 foot pounds torque. Then, remove the two 3/8
must be replaced.
inch-16 bolts previously installed for alignment of
the gear hub.
(5) Lubricate the idler gear hub and idler gear
When a new bearing is being installed in the idler
gear, it must not protrude beyond the gear face on
bearings liberally with clean engine oil.
(6) Position the crankshaft gear and camshaft
gear or balance shaft gear so that their match
(2) Slide the idler gear straight back off of the
marks will align with those on the idler gear.
idler gear hub.
(7) With these match marks in alignment,
(3) Remove bolt which secures the idler gear
install the idler gear, as shown in figure 3-83.
hub to the cylinder block. Then, remove the idler
(8) Apply a thin film of cup grease to the inner
gear hub and the rear idler gear thrust washer as an
face (face with oil grooves) of the outer idler gear
assembly from the engine.
thrust washer. Then, place the thrust washer over
the end of the idler gear hub with the oil grooves in
(1) Place the inner thrust washer over the
side of thrust washer facing the idler gear. and the
forward end of the idler gear hub with the flat in the
flat in the inner diameter of thrust washer over the
inner diameter of the thrust washer over the flat on
flat on the end of the idler gear hub.
the end of the gear hub, and the oil grooves in the
(9) Install idler gear hole spacer.
thrust washer facing the idler gear.
(10) Install the flywheel housing (para 3-22).
(2) Place the small protruding end of the idler