(5) Remove differential assembly from housing
(6) Disconnect hydraulic brake lines at wheel
(7) Remove capscrews and lockwashers that
Inspect axle and shafts for
secure mounting caps to frame and remove
excessive wear, cracks, distortion, and other damages.
Inspect housing for tripped threads
(8) Lower axle assembly from truck.
d. Repair. Repair housing and shaft by welding as
necessary. When possible use a tap or die and repair
(1) Remove axle shaft (8 and 14) from axle
e. Assembly. Reverse procedures in b above.
(2) Remove brakedrums from axle housing.
f. Installation. Reverse procedures in a above.
(3) Remove brakeshoe assembly
Bleed the hydraulic brake system after connecting the
(4) Remove brake plate assemblies from housing.
hydraulic lines to the wheel cylinders
Housing, drive axle
11 Stud, plain, long
Stud, plain, short
14 Shaft, axle
18 Nut, special
Figure 77. Drive axle housing and shaft, exploded view.